Saturday, January 2, 2010

Coffee, Prayer, and Possibilities

I don't know about you, but my new year's resolutions always feel a lot like the picture above - impossibly long! Being the overachiever that I am, I always have a million plans, goals, dreams, summits to surpass, and obstacles to overcome. In fact, forget about my new year's resolutions - the pic probably just as accurately represents my daily to-do list! (Ask my mom - I exaggerate only slightly!) So, this year, I decided to try to keep my goals down so that I would have a little more chance of reaching them. I don't know if I actually reached any of my goals from last year but I did make progress towards them. A few notable achievements from 2009:

  • Lost 15 pounds
  • Visited 3 of my college friends and my sister
  • Memorized John 14, 15 and part of 16
  • Read through the Bible
  • Completed 2o hours of course work towards my MAT with a 3.9 GPA (while simultaneously teaching full time, taking piano lessons, and serving as the church pianist)
  • Made it through my first year as a teacher and half way through my second (now, if you could have met some of my students, you would know this IS an accomplishment!)
  • Passed the GACE basic skills test and Content tests 1 & 2
  • Read 5 educational books (including Ike, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and War and Peace)

I probably did some other stuff too, but this is what most stands out in my mind. It is always a good feeling to look back and see that I actually DID accomplish some things contrary to what it might seem. Now, for this year...(deep breath).........drum roll please!!

Oh wait - little side note before I begin - I always like to structure my goals into four main groups following Luke 2:52 "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and favor with God and man." OK, without further adieu - my Goals 2010!

Wisdom

  • Be faithful in piano practice and make lots of progress
  • Graduate with my MAT
  • Read at least 12 new educational books
  • Practice flute at least 1 time per week
  • Work on my needlework at least 1 time per week
  • Work through my Piano repertoire listening list

Stature

  • Lose more weight and get in shape
  • Faithfully take a multi vitamin
  • Improve my posture

Favor with God

  • Read through the Bible
  • Memorize John 16 (the rest of it), Galatians, and Ephesians

Favor with Man

  • Keep in touch with my friends
  • Listen to Matt read at least 1 time per week
  • Spend more time investing in my family

So, there they are. As the year unfolds, I am sure that I will face challenges both expected and unexpected that will threaten to get me discouraged and off track. However, this year, I want to learn from a sermon our pastor preached and: Not judge my future by my past or present, See the Possibilities in the Problems, and Remember that my Outlook determines my Outcome. With a positive, unwavering attitude and God's grace, I am sure that I will have a successful and productive year come what may! In the words of my new favorite coffee mug, "With enough coffee and prayer, I can do anything!" :)

P.S. - If all else fails, I can always throw my resolutions out the window and claim as my mantra the cartoon below. You know it's true! :)




2 comments:

busymomof10 said...

Great Post! Yes, it is all true! Definitely YOU! :)

This is a classic Tiffany post, if I ever saw one! :)

Glad you like your new coffee mug -- I knew it said "Tiffany" on it! :)

Once again Great Minds think alike -- check out my latest blog post! :)

busymomof10 said...

I've given you a blog award! Come on over to my blog to pick it up!